THE 21 Courtes / Commisiones of Spirits in Puerto Rican Espiritismo
Las 21 Commisiones Espirituales del Espiritismo Puertoriqieno.
In Puerto Rican Espiritismo, there exists various Courts or Gathering Groups of Spirits known collectively as Las Commisiones. This group of spirits are part of an individuals Cuadro Espiritual, “spiritual frame” and make up a cadena espiritual, “spiritual chain” or Enlace,Espiritul “Spiritual link,” with a person. On an Espiritista’s tableau (altar) one will often see statutes or framed photos of Saints, Angels, pagan gods, indigenous spirits, Asian and Hindu gods, gypsies, spiritual animals, or mythical creatures all sharing a space on one altar. This makes up that particular Espiritistas, Cuadro Espiritul. But with one central piece usually being the largest, and that one being the Guia Espiritual. Or the larger can be a Guardian Angel, or an aspect of the Virgin Mary or a Saint, with a smaller statue of the Guia Espiritual towards the right side of the larger. One thing to note while a Principle Guide can often share space on a tableau. A Saint or a guardian angel should never be placed on a Fuente Espiritual. A fuente espiritual, “spiritual fountain” is an altar dedicated in the memory of Ancestral Spirits. Similar to an Afro Cuban Santeria boveda. My next blog will be on the Fuente Espiritual, the tableau altar and the Mesa Blanca.
Although I mention 21, there are more, these listed here are the Commisiones that work la obra de la Luz, the Way of the Light, and work for the Sancista and the Espiritista; in Obras espirituales “Spiritual Work” usually for the greater good of the person, “working with them” and the community. But can also be used in protection, fighting Spiritual warfair, and healing. They also work in helping a person with the development of their faculties, spiritual work, spell casting,amenities, spiritual growth, bestowing insightful messages, answer and solutions to every day problems, just to name a few things they can do
Every human has one, two and sometimes three or more of these Spiritual Forces that make up an individuals Cuadro Espiritual. But with one being a person’s central Guia Principal. (Principle Guide). You will often hear an Espiritista when giving a consultation or santiguando / limpia “a spiritual cleansing” say to an individual. You have a Cadena with a Gypsi, or a Marinero, or that a Madama follows you. Or that the person has an Indian Spirit that walks with him / her. Or that the person is spiritually married to a Cacique Indian, or even has a strong Spiritual link with a Congo Spirit. One thing is for certain each individual has a Patron Saint and a Guardian Angel that is part of the individuals Spiritual Frame and also a Principle Guide. The trained Espiritista can determine from the group of Commisiones which one is a person’s Guia Principal (Principle Guide) through a Spiritual Mass or Seance, in which the Guia Principal will be the first spirit to manifest and mount the Espiritista or try and take possession of a person head through a Baptismal ceremony, and therefor claiming that persons head. Other ways of determining ones Guia Principal, can be done through divination, while under a trance, or through dreams. While an Espiritista determines which is a persons Guia Primcipal, they also can determine a persons Partron Saint or Angel de la Guarda, (Guardian Angel) in the same manner. Through a Misa Espiritual “Spiritual Mass,” a Sesion “seance” or baptismal.” Although a Patron Saints and a Guardian Angel can be determined in the same manner, they can also be determined by analyzing a persons family lineage, or the day a person was born to see if it correlates to the day of a Patron Saint, or Guardian Angel.
The belief in past lives and Reincarnation play a pivotal and major role in Espiritismo. The spirits are a chain or link to a persons past life and not only can they be Guias Principales but also can be either a lover, or a spouse from a past life, an ancient ancestral spirit, a departed family member, or even the culture or race the person was in a past life.
Usually the person has strong qualities or traits of the Guia Principal, that is often compared to that of astrology and the zodiac. For example, if the individual is flirtatious or loves to dance and dress in extravagant clothing, a Espiritista will say, they have a gypsi spirit with them. Or the person loves to go fishing, enjoys the sea or could be a bit of a kleptomaniac, the person has a spiritual link or chain with a pirate spirit. Or an adult person has a mischievous nature, enjoys pranks, and often gets into trouble they have an Infantil. During a seance, fiesta espiritual or a spiritual mass, the person mounted by a spirit will display traits of that particular spirit. Note that it is not unheard of, that two spirits from the Commision are at odds and fighting for a persons head, and trying to be the main Principle Guide. When this happens, the person shows traits of both spirits.
There are Comisiones also that do harm, bring upon illness, diseases, mental problems, disorder and financial difficulties to name a few of the calamities to a person. This group of spirits are our own inner demons. This group of spirits has a link with an individual usually trying to find justice from a wrong or an injustice done unto them, from a past life, seek payment from a past dept, or dealing with a past life curse.
1. COMMISIONES DE CHAMANES, BRUJOS, YERBATEROS, TRABAJADORES ESPIRITUALES. – They aid in magic, herbalism, healing, visions, knowledge of omens,
Offerings – Aguardiente, black unsweetened coffee.
Candle – Green, Brown
2. COMMISIONES DE GITANOS AND GITANAS. – Gypsies, They aid in Divination, Fortune Telling, palmistry, love, and passion. Offerings – Crystals, tarot cards, playing cards, Aguardiente Liquor. Cigarettes.
Candle – Red, Black
3. COMMISIONES DE MADAMAS Y MADAMOS – Negra Thomasa, Nego Jose. They are the care takers, those that aid in the home, and protection of the family and children.
Offerings – Corn Meal, okra, coffee, cigars
Candle colors – Red or white.
4. COMMISIONES DE PIRATAS Y MARINEROS. – Roberto Cofresí Ramirez de Arellano / el pirata Capitan Confresi, Capitan Henry Morgan. They symbolize courage, strength, fearless hearts, overcoming adversity.
Offering. Rum, sugarcane, cigars.
Color Candles. Red, black, white.
5. COMMISIONES DE INDIOS Y CACIQUES. – Los Tainos. The Buhuitihu, They aid in Spiritual warfair, judicial matters, patience, searching, aiding one in finding wisdom and knowledge of pre-Columbian spirits and Spiritual forces.
Offerings – tobacco, black coffee, corn meal. Candle – Blue, Yellow.
6. COMMISIONES DE LOS ORIENTALES. El Buddha, Guanyin. They aid in money matters, luck, the lottery, luck in love, financial gain, and better business
Offering – Citrus fruits, incense. Candle – pink, red.
7. COMMISIONES DE LOS ARABES. – They aid with the Wisdom of the magical forces of the Djjinn Offering garbanzo beans, garlic, flat bread, Olive Color Candles. Green and Black. oil.
8. COMMISIONES MEDICAS / SANTIGUADORES / CURANDERA. – Jose Gregorio Hernandez They aid in all health matters, healing, finding a cure. Medacine and herbalism. Offering – herbal teas of all sorts. Candle, white. yellow.
9. COMMISIONSES DE LOS CONGOS. – Pa Francisco, Ma Francisca. The Congo Spirits are that group of Spirits who in Africa where Kings, Queen, of Royal heritage or important nobile figures in Africa but where slaves in the Americas. Pai Fransisco, Mai Fransisca, el Congo and La Kongas. They aid in Black Magic, defending against occult enemies and protection.
Offerings – Cigars, Rum, okra, corn meal, tobacco and coffee
Candle Color – Black,Brown, Orange, and Purple .
10. COMMISIONES DE LOS SANTOS. The Saints all have their own attributes.
Each saint has its own color candle and offering.
11. COMMISIONES DE LOS HINDU. – Hindu The wisdom of the Hindu Gods. 7 multi color candle.
12. COMMISIONES DE LOS ANGELES. Guardian Angels.
Each Angel has their own Color Candle and offering. White.
13. COMMISIONES DE LOS ESCLAVOS. Negra Amparo, Negro Felipe, Negro Jose, Negra Elena. They aid in courage, obstacles, hard work, and patience.
Offering – same as Madama and Congo Candle – White Purple,
14. COMMISIONES DE LOS INFANTILES. Nino Divino, Nino de Atocha. This group of spirits are tricksters, who play pranks on humans, But can be very protective.
Offerings – coins, candy, toys, sweets. Candle, yellow, orange.
15 COMMISIONES DE LAS BENDITA ANIMAS Y ANIMA SOLAS. – Juan Minero, Maria Celestina Abdegano, Fransisca Durante. These Spirits will aid you in any undertaking as long as you offer them prayers, and light.
Offering – Holy Water, Ice cubes, any liquor or drink to quench their thirst.
Candle – Red Black
16. COMMISIONES DE LIBERTADORA. -This group aids you in wisdom, study, and court trials, freedom and liberation.
Offering – Brandy, Cigars.
Color – White, Yellow.
17. COMMISIONES DE LOS VAGABUNDOS, Y BOHEMIOS. – This group aids in poetry, written letters, music. Offerings, toast, bread or crackers. Candle, Brown, Green.
18. COMMISIONES DE LOS HEROES Y LIDERS. – This group of spirits aid you in battles of all kinds.
19. COMMISIONES AFRICANA. – Spirits that followed Los Misterios in life, the Orisha , Nikisi, and Lwa. They are the messengers of the Misterios and when they come down will show many characteristics of the Orisha and Lwa.
Offering – each spirit has his/her own preferable offering.
7 Color Candle.
20. COMMISIONES ELEMENTALES. – Cuatro Vientos. Maria de los Cuatro Costales. This group of spirits fall under the four cardinal points, spirits of the Four Elements.
Each element has its own color and offering.
21. COMMISIONES DE LOS JUANES Y LAS MARIAS. – Juan Negro, Juan Indio Juan del Tabacco. Maria de la Luz. This group kept the.secreats knowlwdge and wisdom of their people hidden and alive for future generations, and will aid you. In life they where not born with the name Juan or Maria, but where changed buy their white masters or because of religion.
Que los Muertos, los Seres, los Antepasados y los Misterios te Bendiga, en el nombre de Dios. Brujo Luis